/* MAIN ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- */

 

C'mon Red Sox fans!
Cheer Johnny Damon, May 1st!

 

Thanks to those classy fans who applauded one of our World Series Champions. It was about how I expected, sometimes you really can't expect much from some people. As usual, Johnny, you showed class by tipping your hat to the fans, and doing so you apparently charmed them one last time, as the cheers really picked up. You are a good guy, and deserve everything you get. Whether you'll ever have what you had here or not and whether you'll ever be truly happy again -- I just don't know.

 S. Green, Fan Club President

"Damon could hardly have been a better citizen or representative for the Red Sox....no one signed more autographs .. few did more charity work...he played despite significant pain...he privately acknowledged that his shoulder was worse than ever, but nonchalantly shrugged: "My team needs me." As a reward for his on-field excellence and unselfish behavior, Damon was treated like a common criminal Monday. Ever classy in the face of boorishness, he tipped his batting helmet to the fans...Naturally, that didn't make much of an impression with those who had readied for his return by printing homemade signs, many with vicious and/or obscene messages. .. such displays dishonor the reputation that Red Sox fans have earned as one of the best and most knowledgeable in the game....they owed him more for at least one at-bat Monday night..
--- Sean McAdams, ProJo

My reasons for making this were to try and do my little part to convince people to not make fools of themselves and the rest of us, but... people will be what they will be.

Despite all of the nasty and threatening messages I received, I still Believe that most Sox fans are nice people and will be able to get over this whole thing now, at least I hope so, I hope you all can move on despite how you came across last night. If it made you all feel better to take it out on me -- that's fine, I took it on myself with open eyes and wouldn't change a thing. The thing that annoys me the most is that you just showed those yankess fans how much they hurt you - and you know they are thrilled with that. I'd rather you'd have shown that you were past it and just could show your appreciation for a job well done, but most of you were into your little moment and your hurt was going to be shown, you were determined, and you did it.

Now you can rest comfortably knowing that you booed one of Our 25 and gave fodder to the yankess - and allowed no less than Joe Torre the ability to add fuel to the fire:

 

"I guess we should feel proud. Evidently wearing a Yankee uniform overrides winning a World Series and busting your tail for years.

"Without Johnny here, they may have been working on 89 or 90 years [without a championship]. It's too bad they don't appreciate that more so than they dislike the fact that he's wearing our uniform. - Joe Torre

 



MY THANKS TO ALL THE CLASSY FANS WHO CHEERED LAST NIGHT!!!
YOU did the right thing.

 

 

"I just can't imagine anyone wanting to boo Johnny Damon... all he did was hustle here for four years." -- 4.30.06, Peter Gammons
""The right thing to do is a raucous standing ovation... show some class. Show some common sense." -- 4.30.06, The Boston Globe's Bob Ryan
"The ideas emanating from the lunatic fringe of Red Sox Nation — that Damon is a 'traitor,' that he has gone from 'Jesus to Judas,' that he should be called 'Demon' instead of 'Damon' — are not worthy of serious discussion." -- 4.30.06, Ken Rosenthal, Foxsports.com
"I think he's gonna get a lot of cheers, you're gonna have your boo-birds, (but they'll) kinda get drowned out by a lot of applause because he's done so much for this club." -- 4.27.06, Red Sox center fielder Coco Crisp
"First time up, standing ovation." -- 4.30.06, The RemDawg
"I think the fans will cheer for what we accomplished the last few years, and boo the fact that I'm a Yankee." -- 4.30.06, Johnny Damon

Why this site?

This site was built in response to a web site I have seen recently that calls for throwing items, including dangerous things like batteries at Johnny Damon and I felt, as a mature baseball fan who loves and respects the game of baseball and in particular the Boston Red Sox, that a little time out was called for before things get totally out of hand. I won't link to that site because it is below contempt.

Red Sox fans! Give Johnny Damon a standing ovation at least his first at bat. The world is watching us and thousands of Fenway fans do not want to be represented by immature, violent, pathetic people. Johnny deserves to be cheered and I'll tell you why. Real Red Sox fans - Do The Right Thing! Show the world we have class!

I, as much as anyone, understand fans' reaction to Johnny signing with the hated Yankees. Johnny Damon was one of the favorite players of all time to wear a Red Sox uniform. When he came to Boston in 2002 and eventually helped the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004, he was viewed as one of the 'saviors' that delivered New England it's most prized sports memory.

During that time, he played hard for the Sox and did it all with a pleasant demeanor and generous attitude toward his fans, teammates and the media.

Let's talk a little bit about why

Johnny Damon deserves to be cheered

Why Cheer Johnny?? If you can't look at that photo top left and realize why Johnny Damon deserves your applause, then you are not much of a Red Sox fan, let alone a baseball fan. Do you remember that moment? Do you remember him personally nailing the coffin shut on the Yankees??

"Then came Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. With kudos to Papi, JD got the big hit(s)--the Grand Slam and 2-run job that finally did it, put those MFY's away in the Toilet, no less. I know people who were there and they said the Grand Slam sucked the life out of the Stadium that night--the 2nd one was just to kick them when down. "

Without him, that night, we may not have made it to the World Series in 2004. We might STILL be waiting for the Red Sox to be World Champions!!

I have been going to Fenway Park for many years and I recently went when the Mariners were in town. Fenway "fans" are still booing Carl Everett! He's been gone six years! That in itself is ridiculous, - but you're booing Carl Everett because he was a jerk the whole time he was here and everywhere he's gone since....

Johnny is no Carl Everett. He has been nothing but kind, and positive and a great teammate in the clubhouse. He's probably the most generous player with his fans outside of the clubhouse too -- he's known for staying with the fans until every single thing has been signed!

He played as hard as any player can for us for the four years he was here - we made the playoffs three out of those four years, finally culminating in the greatest comeback in sports history and eventually winning the World Series.

In my opinion, there's no excuse to ever boo any of our champions, and I personally never will. All we ask is that you consider giving Johnny a classy Fenway ovation his first time back, to say thanks for all he did.

Remember, it was his hustle, heart and hair that helped to bring Red Sox Nation it's greatest sports memory - ever.

Email/Send Your Comments

Please feel free to comment - show your support for Johnny and Fenway fans! Intelligent and mature responses will be considered for posting on this web site. Thank you.

 

 

 

Some Comments

Real Fans Cheer The Immortal 25:
I will be there and will cheer. Booing is not an option. If fans were smart when Arod comes to bat you should hear crickets. J.Smith, Springfield, MA
-------------------------------
That is an intelligent plea for the fans. Think about what he has done for the club, then move on. I believe to be a baseball fan first than be a Red Sox fan. Just give him his quick moment of thanks, then be a regular fan who express themselves in a decent fashion - J Argenio, Lakeland Fl.
-------------------------------
Johnny was an essential part of the reversing of the curse ... I can still remember hearing the crack of the bat over the TV in game 7 vs the NYY ... and watching the ball sail away ... for that alone the man has my respect ... I will stand and cheer and clap my hands at his first at bat ... he deserves that from those in RSN - Novy, WI
--------------------------------
Thanks for this-I saw that other site and thought how classless-I hate that he went there but he played hard for us for 4 years. Steve R.,Arlington
--------------------------------
Says Lucchino: "I certainly hope he will be greeted fondly for all of the contributions he made here to our success. I think that is appropriate initially, and then he's on his own. Thereafter he becomes just a member of the visiting team that we are trying to beat. --Larry Lucchino, USAToday article